2nd Law

a blog by collegiates from around the purple nation (though mostly living in NYC) in the midst of transitioning to the real world

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Putting the "Street" Back in Street Art

Yesterday my aunt sent me this link to some totally amazing street art. The artist's name is Julian Beever and he uses a technique called anamorphism which creates the illusion of three dimensionality when viewed from certain vantage points (this technique was also really popular in the seventeenth century according to my Art Hum professor). The drawings are done with pastels on completely flat surfaces without any form of electronic aid.
I may be the last one to have heard about this, since apparently he has been doing it for ten years in cities all over the world (the Netherlands, US, UK, Australia, France, Germany, Belgium), but I am posting it anyway just in case.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mind bending...

10:26 PM  
Blogger Thessaly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations!I liked your article. I was easy to understand, too.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog eremi. When I was studying in Rome a couple of my friends saw this guy's work and they took some sweet pics. The exhibit they saw was two chairs - one was a painted black chair and the other was only painted black lines on the walls and floor. It was phat!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home